Addis Ababa

Addis Ababa

Monday, July 25, 2011

Rainy Days in Addis

Well yesterday was "one of those days". Tegegn did not want to go down for a nap although he was up early and up during the night and Ella was just having a day when nothing was going right, thus I had two whiny children.  But I am very thankful because we have only had one day like that since we have got here so I am not complaining.

It was an eye opening day, yesterday. I was exhausted by late afternoon but we had to walk down to the Shoa supermarket to get some food. It is only about a 10 minute walk but with a 4 year old and a 22lbs baby strapped on it seemed longer.  On our way home I was at the point of just wanting the day to be done. My back was killing me because I was now carrying about 20 lbs of groceries as well. I almost started that line of complaining in my head but then it was like something spoke to me. We were walking down the sidewalk and we had to literally step over a person passed out in the middle of the sidewalk with a blanket over him, legs swollen and chapped, two street children were by my side trying to sell us gum, and begging for food, my back and shoulders aching  and then I looked around. What could I complain about? That I had a bag full of  food when everywhere around me people were begging for food, little children having to beg for whatever they may get to eat that day, if anything? That I had a heavy healthy baby in a country where children are currently dying of starvation? That I had to walk 10 minutes for food with 2 kids, when thousands have to walk on for days with their children.  I felt very humbled at that moment, and it will forever make me think twice before I utter a word of sorrow for myself, instead I gave thanks, (and a couple bananas and birrs to the children).

No comments:

Post a Comment