Addis Ababa

Addis Ababa

Friday, February 4, 2011

ANGOLA SAFARI!!!

Well last weekend we went to Kissama National Park, it is one of the few in Angola. They have  a Truck Tour and River Tour that you can go on and the best thing is that it is only about a 2 hour drive from our house.  We went with 7 other families, some with children and other that just came along for the road pops.
Brett and I are the youngest family here that I am aware of but lots of other families have children our age or younger.  However we often get teased about how young we are.  Brett is turning 32 on Sunday and I was thinking that does seem older but both Brett and I look forward to getting old. And really Brett was nicknamed Old Man Layden in High School so really I think we are accepting the aging process quiet gracefully. Any one who has read my previous blogs is probably well aware of how my eagerness to get old and one day be thought of as older then 17.  (Note: this longing to get old maybe getting out of control -the other day a friend of ours who is probably around my moms age was telling me how they plan on going on wine tours for their anniversary and romantic lunches, ect... I blurted out way too fast how "I can't wait to get old to do that kind of stuff!" Yeah may have came out wrong, WHAT I MEANT was that I would love to have a romantic lunch at a beautiful vineyard but we can't do that with small children. So I meant that once Ella is grown, I would love to do that. Yeah I had to back peddle really bad and in the end I just shut up because nothing I said was helping the mannner. On another note.....completely off topic I saw my first Afro Mullet!!!!!  It was the funniest thing I have ever saw because it was a real mullet but even worse then normal, what I would have given to have a photo of it. I even would have changed the main photo on this blog to it if I could have got that  thing on camera. Also other funny things I have saw/heard:
- Very popular here are those umbrella hats so funny
-Brett saw a 90 year old really sweet looking lady with a T-shirt that said " I am not bald this is a solar panel for a sex machine"
- I asked my driver to stop for tomatoes today and he proceed to tell me about the people outside how they have given up their homes because the gov't  moved them and promised them new homes.....I never got any tomatoes.
-

Speaking of funny things...back to the Angolan Safari. So a little history first.... most/almost all the wild animals in Angola were killed during the war, and I mean almost all. This fact didn't hit me until we got close to the park and you see how vast it is and it is only a small part of Angola. I couldn't even imagine how so many animals could be not only impacted by the war but completely destroyed.  I even heard (an saw later on TV) that even the animals in Luanda's Zoo were all killed and now there are only empty cages there.

Well some of the animals are coming back and we have photos to prove it....Look out Kenya you got some competition !!!





Our Safari Vehicle, aka old civil war truck










Macaco aka Monkey

No comments:

Post a Comment