Addis Ababa

Addis Ababa

Monday, February 14, 2011

Exercising in Villa Leticia (VL)

Well this morning I was decided that I should take advantage of the weather and get some exercise outside. It had just rained around 8:30 and was still a little overcast -  probably around 30 degrees still, but this is cool for Luanda. So I put on my shorts and runners and got my ipod ready to go.  You have to understand that exercising here in VL has its ...ummmm challenges and perks.  I planned on just going for a fast walk and doing lunges around the compound (which is only 15 house so it is pretty small. I think 4 laps = 1 mile.   I am trying to work on my legs....yes the dreaded thighs have always been my problem area.

 First mistake were the short shorts I put on (I thought they would be nice and keep me cooler). Well apparently I have gained a bit because these were tight and tight. No problem though I told myself I have a longer shirt on so that will cover any overflow.  Side note: Last summer I decided to wear some shorter black dress shorts. I was a little unsure at first but when I came out of the room my sister gave me a look that said it all... and then walked away.  I think we were going golfing that day. I noticed the  look and thought "well if they were really bad she would tell me so maybe they are just kinda bad" but I was hoping to get a tan on my legs so I thought who cares. Well later that day when we were out on the golf course my sister brought up my shorts again. I asked her if they were really that bad. Her responds "....err ...ummmm well I just don't wear short shorts because they don't look good on me, and your legs are really white hey?" Translation--- Ummm yeah those are bad, what the hell were you thinking?"  oh and "your legs are REALLY white."  So now I have learned the objective truth and I am stuck out on a frigging golf course.  All I can think of is getting home and changing.  I don't consider myself to be a person who cares that much about appearances, I am not vain nor do I think I self criticize too much, but a spade is a spade and there was no getting around this one. 

Anywho how does that story relate to my walk....well once again I made the mistake of wearing short shorts but this time they were even too small. AND despite living in Africa for the past 2.5 months my legs are still painfully WHITE. 

So here I am walking along trying to get my speed up and I arrive at the 2nd challenge. You see in our compound we have a lot of gardeners and maintenance people - all men.  And they are all out and about today, all 14 of them (yes I counted)  plus some drivers and security guards.  And they are all literally 4 meters away from me as I walk.....fast.....with white legs ..jiggling.  Ahhhh fun times who doesn't love a huge audience as they sweat their ass off...walking (ok the sweat is more from the heat then being out of shape ... really... okay maybe both) but I am not kidding you, I was sweating like I was in a sauna ...a  steam sauna !  So as now I am walking , saying my hellos (Bom Dias) to everyone on the first lap,  second lap now really sweeting quite a bit but just hoping everyone will keep busy working.  

The ipod helps tremendously,  so I get up the confidence to start doing my lunges, trying to  block everyone out and just listen to my music in the middle of the street (since the workers are on the sidewalk. Next thing I know there is a truck right behind me full of maintenance men as I am trying to do a lunge, stay balanced, not rip my shorts in two and not fall over as the dogs tug me in every direction. Great, I think to myself, once I finally notice because the dogs are trying to get off the street,  how long have they been behind my while I have been rocking out to my music, and then  I wonder if they know I am actually trying to do a lunge or if they think I may have injured myself. 



 I was determined to go for a least 30 minutes ...I know you are all laughing at my big work out, but hey I know my limits today.  As I am finishing my last lap my favourite little people come running onto their deck and wave to me shouting "Hola Amiga !!!" These are the children in a half built house that live on the other side of the compound. I am in love with them. They are the cutest, sweetest little children and they always wave and say hello to me every time I walk by their house.  This made my morning, my whole day and all the sweet and white jiggling thighs was worth it! 

3 comments:

  1. Next time can you have your amigas take some photos of you? I like photos with stories. Especially when they involve short shorts.

    In other news...today I put on ski pants, a parka, knee high down filled boots that are SUPPOSED to keep my feet warm in -40, two scarves, a hat and ski mitts to take my dogs for a walk. So yeah..f. you and your +30 degree walk.

    Moncton hasn't had as much snow as they have this year in 19 years. YEA for us eh? PB actually had to shovel our roof off on the weekend because our toilets stopped flushing due to the snow essentially suffocating the vent. AWESOME. AND, the snow is now up over the 4 ft. dog pen fence, meaning Mo Dog just goes wherever she wants in the neighbourhood, yesterday she was brought home by one of the neighbors. In other words - I want to move to Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there. You make me laugh. Kaydence and I read your stories regularly. Thanks for keeping us all up to date on your thighs. Miss you all so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey honey you have such a great sense of humour it brightens a persons day - good for you for getting out there and who cares what people think on another note do you want me to bring you some new shorts to jog in, maybe from lululemon - love the ending its likes you made those kids day as well as they making yours. Appreciate you keeping us all up to date with your blog, love you guys and big hugs for everyone (a bear hug for Ella from papa)

    ReplyDelete