Addis Ababa

Addis Ababa

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

What a Wonderful Country!

Wow what a wonderful people Ethiopians are.  I may be a little bias since our son is Ethiopian, but it is just so amazing how kind people are here. Today illustrates my point so well. I am pretty use to doing things myself (don't get me wrong when Brett is around I am more then happy to let him do things for us) but being here almost 5 weeks, most of the time by ourselves, I have to do everything with a baby strapped to me and a 4 year old on my hand.

Today we needed groceries and water. To get bottled water is not too far, just around the corner, maybe a 5 minute walk then up 55 stairs to our room on the 4th floor. I wanted to get 12 2L bottles of water, yes I knew it would be heavy but I figured lets just get it over with. I paid for the water and then the guys who helped me put it into my bags couldn't believe I was going to carry it. I said it was okay, that I wasn't far. He would not let me carry them not even one 6 pack. He carried both all the way home for us. I couldn't believe it. Then it was the cutest thing Ella said, "mom you should just let him, this doesn't happen everyday you know." He carried it all the way to our hotel and expected nothing for the help.

 Then I went to get the key for our room and put one of the bags down, when I turned around Ababa, the man who works our gate, had brought it up to our room and everyone who I passed that was Ethiopian tried to help with the other bag. It is just so amazing how thoughtful people are here. Everyone always says hello and  how are you? The staff love Ella and Tegegn and constantly play with them.  I am pretty lucky to be surrounded by such wonderful people.

It is a great day to be in Ethiopia!

No comments:

Post a Comment