Addis Ababa

Addis Ababa

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Baking ....sort of.

Well anyone who knows me or have read parts of this blog know that I lack any talent, ability, gift, ect.. when it comes to cooking, and I am only slightly better at baking.  But since Ella is back at school and I have finished all the chocolate chip granola bars from Costco (yes the big box) ...more on that later, I have had to make snack food so that I don't waste hours standing in front of my fridge thinking that something eatable will appear.

So the only thing I can make as of now that is delicious (as in all three of us will eat them and I am not too embarrassed about giving them to Isabel or Zeferino) is Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins or as I like to call them Lisa's amazing and somewhat health muffins - I don't have to get any more specific since I only can make one kind.  Anywho today  is a big day because I am trying a new recipe that I think might be a winner. Where did I get this recipe?  Well some of it off the web, but once I get baking I tend to add a lot of my own stuff. (note: usually this does not work in my favour but I can't help it.)

So to set the scene I have limited baking tools, all I have is a bowl (seriously just one I have looked through my cupboards once again hoping another will magically appear but no luck yet) so I have a bowl, a sort of measuring cup (goes up to 1/2 cup) and a teaspoon. Not to worry though I rarely measure things anyways. (Just to let you all know I am well aware that not measuring things out may contribute to my lack of success in cooking, even Ella has pointed out that I am suppose to level off the teaspoon with baking powder on it -  but it is just not going to happen - my free cooking spirit just wont let it. ) So back to the scene... I am attempting to make a new muffin recipe.  It is going to be a Blueberry Banana Bran muffin recipe- yeah doesn't that sound great. The original recipe was just for bran muffins - quiet boring.  So I have mixed all my ingredients up and the muffins are currently cooking.

I have to be honest this is not my first attempt at bran muffins I tried to make them before and when Brett took a bite of them his eye brows went up and he stopped chewing.  I knew they were bad but I didn't want them to go to waste. It may have had something to do with this oil I put in them because I didn't have any butter and you have to understand that all the food product labels are in Portuguese thus making it a little difficult to figure out just what type of oil I was using... anyways the muffins tasted like oil...they were SICK.  

Okay so the muffins are now out of the oven and look not bad. I am really hoping they are eatable because 1. the ingredients probably cost me over $50 and 2. because I want to give some to our neighbours who just arrived back here and are probably really jetlagged and I know they have no food in there house - until they go shopping so these could hold them over.

 Cooking supplies



My pineapple plant I am trying to grow


Update on garden: 
Someone picked my little lettuce plant and the peas all died.....damn it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment