Addis Ababa

Addis Ababa

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Firday

Well today was a really good day, Ella and I and our driver visited 2 Orphanages. They are about 1.5 hours from our house. It was a very interesting trip. Our driver helped me find them by asking around and then he went and bought 7 bags of fresh baked bread for them.  The last 30 minutes of the drive we went through back roads, you know the ones that you can only see from the street. They whined and weave all around. It was really eye opening. We saw lots of homes where people lived and children everywhere and of every age and usually with no parents in sight. I saw a little girl about 5 or 6 with a little baby on her back around one or so. It seems that the children look after each other, probably because there parents are out working.  I have always wanted to see what was behind the street walls and it was so interesting.

We also had to 4x4 through some huge mud holes. We arrived at the first Orphanage which was run by Madame Irma (I think that was her name) she is a little old lady that looks after all 56 children. Their was a 19 year boy there who was the first boy she ever took in 15 years ago. He spoke pretty good english and showed me all around and told me about the place. Most of the children were at a Festival so we didn't get to meet them all. I was told the things they need the most was food and shoes. Most of the children there are very young - I think around Ella's age and most are girls.  Ella was pretty shy but interested.  The young boy then took us to a bigger Orphanage down the road named Saint Isabel's Children Charity (OCSI). You can check it out at www.ocsiangola.org.  We will probably go back this week to visit again and bring them some fruit which the children love.  The  OCSI was a lot larger and more equipped, they have over 200 children and their main goal now seems to be sending them all to school.  It is run by sister Isabel and some other ladies.  I was really moved by both places, but the first one was very basic, the children had nice beds and misquote nets but they would not be effective because there were holes in them.  I didn't see anything to play on for the children it was just a kitchen, bedroom and then an open area. The kitchen was very basic.  There was one lady there that I meet who the Orphanage hired she had a little baby boy who was so sweet but his poor little eyes where a yellowish brown color. I think at the very least if the children could get vitamins  it would be a huge help. They eat mostly beans and rice, -fresh fruits and veggies or meat everyday would cost a lot but if they children could get a multi-vitamin that would help, although they need so much more as well.

Well that was our day, it was such an experience.  I don't want to say a good experience because there is nothing good about seeing others live this way, but it was humbling for me.  It makes me want less for my self and more for others. It just doesn't seem fair that some have so much and others have so little and that the mere fact of where on this earth you are born will determine that.  I don't understand how everyone seems to be okay with children living on the streets here. There are many street children, mostly little boys, little boys some who look so innocent. They have the saddest look in their eyes -scared, sad, broken.  There is one little boy who sneaks into Shoprite and always tries to find me because I gave him money I don't know how you couldn't.  He is so little- maybe 8 years old in the body of a 5 year old. He is so sweet. He found me again and I gave him $5. He was so happy. He always smiles and waves at me when no one is looking. These boys usually wonder the isles in shoprite staring at the food or the toys until security kick them out. A lot of them hang around the parking lot and will try to help you with your grouches and cart hoping for some change. They are willing to work for money which I think is admirable. When we were paying for our groceries I saw my little guy and his friend buying some cooked chicken, fries and an apple. They looked so happy. The other little boy had a huge scar across his neck like someone tried to slit it. I can't even imagine what these little guys have been through....

No comments:

Post a Comment