Addis Ababa

Addis Ababa

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Things are slowing down and looking up...maybe

Well today was actually a quieter day. Ella and I had a relaxing morning and chatted over a banana chocolate chip muffin and coffee. (Muffin for Ella, coffee for me).  Then  she went to school this afternoon and is over a Baya's house right now playing.  I also talked to a lady about getting our washing machine and she said it will be here today or tomorrow. I really believe her this time, although it hasn't came today.... so here is  hopping for tomorrow. Plus I talked to the cable guy and he is also looking into cable for us. PLUS, surprise, surprise there are 2 guys out side the house right now, one is the maintenance guy and the other looks like a guy who makes decisions. I am hoping they are talking about putting a fence in. I may have been touring the dogs around the neighbourhood off leash, everyone is a little scared of dogs around here ( ok a lot) so maybe this will help encourage a fence.....   Brett is trying to come home early today to play with Ella. She really misses him because she only sees him for about an hour or less before bed. Things should slow down a bit over the holidays.

We were invited over the our neighbours house for dinner on Christmas eve! People here really are sooo nice and another couple with Twin 5 year old girls are coming as well, so it should be fun.






Well I have to say the hardest things about being here is trying to cook something for dinner that is somewhat healthy. I was challenged before in this department and now I am basically crippled. I had cooked (tried) to cook dinner 3 nights in a row (one was not eatable - the sick chicken) but the others were ok. Then Brett cooked one night (Saturday or Sunday I think) and was like "look our first home cooked meal in our new house"  I was like what?  - what would you call the dinners I made last week?   All I got was umm ah  oh ya  sorry.  Ouch.

 So tonight I am googling recipes and trying to think of something to make.  The things is we are limited in ingredients.  We have cheese, pasta, rice, tomatoes, beans, couscous,  frozen cauliflower and broccoli - but both were kind of gross.  Frozen corn, bread, ham... I know what your thinking - there is lots I can make but I have made pasta in a tomato sauce with - chicken, lobster, and sausage. I can't do tomato and pasta anymore.  So far we haven't found any good meat, except for this imitation lobster which I am sure is 50% plastic.

Oh that reminds me we actually had to throw out 2 dinners - We tried making shrimp - not tomato but in a teriyaki sauce and it smelt soooooo fishy and then stunk up our whole house, plus 90% of the little shrimp weren't deveined. I was eating it until I notice Brett picked all his out and said he wasn't going to eat it, it would kill him.  So we don't buy the shrimp anymore.  Oh on a side note - you can't comprehend how much guilt I have every time we have to throw something out here, especially food.
The flowers are for you mom xoxo.

1 comment:

  1. Hey!

    Check out my friend Jane's blog, and a few of my other favorite food blogs - lots of inspiration!!

    http://hungryjaney.blogspot.com/ (Jane's Blog)

    http://smittenkitchen.com/

    http://thebittenword.typepad.com/

    And you can't go wrong with Jamie - its always super simple...

    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes

    - L.

    ReplyDelete