Addis Ababa

Addis Ababa

Thursday, December 23, 2010

More Christmas cookies and plans for Christmas day....


Well yesterday was a big day we went over to our neighbours house and decorated cookies. Ella's new friends came to and there were lots of cookies to decorate.











We have decide to visit an Orphanage Christmas Eve. I believe Christmas is about giving and in Luanda there are so many people, especially children who have nothing. I can't help but think about all those on Christmas this year who will have nothing special. I also want Ella to see that Christmas is not just about her and what she wants, and that not every child is as luck as she is.

  I have always wanted to spend Christmas doing something for others who really need it and this year we decided to bring fruit as our gift to the children. (It is what they asked for - food) plus I thought it is a good way to get some vitamins in the children. They usually eat one rice and beans.  So I asked Isabel if she would go to the market and buy the fruit for me since she can get a lot more for a lot less then I can.   I forgot to mention that Isabel only speaks portuguese and apparently I don't speak any portuguese.  So first I tried my dictionary and that took way too long, then I tried google translator and I thought she got it. So I thought she was going to go and then she can back to me with her phone, it was her husband, he speaks pretty good english and very politely told me that Isabel has no idea what I was trying to tell Isabel.   Wow, guess I was wrong. Anyways I told him what I wanted Isabel to do and she was very eager to help. She went all the wats down to the market place and brought back a ton of fruit, it took her nearly 4 hours. Then she was so proud she laid it  all out on the counter and told me all the great deals she got.


4 comments:

  1. That is just incredible. I am so proud of all of you and your compassion for others. And, how nice that Isabel is a part of your plan. You made me cry and feel very selfish. This is something that none of you will ever forget. I can't wait to see the pictures of those little children. God bless you all. That is truly the meaning of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to all of you. What a wonderful thing you are doing for the orphanage... just like Terry, I cried!!

    What a fabulous experinece, your first Christmas in Luanda . Your pics are wonderful and your house looks so festive... very sweet! I loved this pics of the pool ...it looks great!

    I am really enjoying the blog, Lisa.. you are doing a great job. Thanks for that.

    I wish you all the best and I am so happy that your new life is working out for you. Love always. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Lisa for all of the updates ! The pictures are great and I am so excited for you all ! You are such an amazing person Lisa and I am so lucky to have you as a friend ! Merry Christmas ! Love Mandy

    ReplyDelete